Job Title: President, The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida
Reports To: Chairman of the Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared By: Chief Operating Officer/Chancellor, Diocese of Orlando
Prepared Date: August 24, 2017
As each one has received a gift,
use it to serve one another as good stewards of God's varied grace. (1 Pt 4:10)
Stewardship is the grateful response of a Christian disciple who recognizes and receives God's gift and shares these gifts in love of God and neighbor. As Christian stewards, we receive God's gifts gratefully, cultivate them responsibly, share them lovingly in justice with others, and return them with increase to the Lord. The President of The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida inspires the development and flourishment of disciples as stewards throughout the nine county Diocese of Orlando. The President looks to the life and teaching of Jesus for guidance in his/her own faith development, but also for the people he/she serves in living as Christian stewards. This is born out of our love for God and for one another. The President leads others to a partnership with God-our share in a divine human collaboration in creation, occupying a central place in our lives as Christian stewards. The President is a passionate visionary and accomplished leader. The President demonstrates success as an engaging, innovative, and energetic leader of a multifaceted organization, with exemplary skills in strategy, relationship and fundraising management. The President accompanies, guides and supports pastors, principals and heads of other diocesan entities to develop vital ministries of this local Church. With his/her team, the President inspires, engages and educates individuals from all walks of life to make significant and meaningful contributions for the glory of God.
The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida is incorporated as a separate 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, fully endorsed by its Bishop, Most Reverend John Noonan. This legal structure ensures that all gifts will be used for their intended purposes and provides a level of efficiency, accountability and transparency that will earn the respect and confidence of donors and establish the Foundation as a national model for Catholic philanthropy and stewardship.
The Diocese of Orlando four core values lay the foundation for the work performed by the President of The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida.
- Authenticity: Conviction that God has called us to reflect exteriorly our inner life of faith in our daily living
- Respect: Affirming each person’s God-given dignity and uniqueness.
- Courage: Inspired by this gift of the Holy Spirit, we proclaim and live the Word of God fearlessly and devotedly.
- Commitment: Individually and collectively, we are steadfast to the team and its purpose.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Leads the Board in development activities.
- Coordinates with the Board in the development and oversight of the annual budget, including allocation of funds to the Diocese.
- Jointly develops with the Board strategic goals to guide and advance the Foundation’s mission.
- Serves as primary liaison and facilitates the engagement of members of the Board.
- Oversees scheduling and preparation of materials for quarterly board meetings, archival recording of board matters/minutes.
- Participates in committee meetings and reports to the Chairman of the Board.
- Identifies, assesses and informs the Board of internal and external issues that affect the Foundation.
- Works with the Foundation Board and the Bishop to set the priorities and strategic direction for the Catholic Foundation to serve the diocese.
- Oversees preparation of and provides quarterly financial statements and annual fund reports to the Board.
- Stewards current partners and donors and identifies, cultivates and solicits prospective donors.
- Oversees donor acknowledgement process in a timely fashion.
- Harmonizes with other Diocesan, Parish or School development efforts for publicity, donor cultivation and stewardship, and special projects as they arise.
- Monitors compliance with all pertinent financial, tax and auditing requirements.
- Cultivates large leadership gifts.
Parish and Diocesan Entity Relations:
- Collaborates with other Church leaders in service of the mission of The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida.
- Works cooperatively with various personalities within the Catholic Church, facilitates good communication and is responsive to requests of others within a large, complex and diverse working environment.
- Serves as ambassador between The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida and the Bishop of the Diocese of Orlando to ensure that The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida and the Diocese have a close working and harmonious relationship.
- Manages staff with a focus on Christ, bringing forth the Diocesan core values to encourage individual and team growth.
- Hires, motivates, supervises, evaluates and mentors the organization’s team and creates a supportive, goal oriented and productive work environment based on respect, meaningful communication and team work.
- Oversees accounting, data processing, budget management, personnel management, program accountability, and fund development to ensure production efficiency, quality and cost effective management of resources.
- Provides The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida with the vision and leadership to carry out its mission and ensures that the activities of the organization as a whole and its individual programs are fiscally sound and operated in accordance with its mission statement.
- Implements and monitors ongoing development and investment efforts to ensure goals are met on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Works closely with the Foundation Board annually and collaborates with appropriate Diocesan staff members to create and update a three-to-five year business plan and an annual operating budget.
- Leads staff to ensure the success of a planned giving program for the benefit of parishes, schools, Catholic Charities and other ministries of the Diocese.
- Serves as a passionate and informed advocate for the Catholic Church, able to communicate its message clearly one-on one and to large groups, in the spoken and written form; to ensure that the work and impact of our parishes, schools, Catholic Charities and our other vital ministries is known by those who will help fund the mission.
- Engages, inspires and educates in personal meetings, group settings and in the written form.
- Implements strategies to diversify and increase funds that can be distributed for the benefit of the people of God in the Diocese of Orlando.
- Engages external constituencies as spokesperson and fundraiser, and builds positive relationships with partner organizations, funders, and others.
- Manages relationships with and ensure the success of audit, investment and financial consultants.
- Oversees the consolidation of parish endowments to leverage investment opportunities and maximize performance.
- The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida professional and support staff.
- Chief Operating Officer/Chancellor
- The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida Board of Directors and Advisory Committees
- Secretariat Heads
- Chancery Office Directors and Development Directors of Parishes and Diocesan Entities
- The Catholic Foundation of Central Florida Members
- Other Diocesan Entities’ Presidents and Boards
- Clergy and Religious
- External Legal Counsel
- Other Standing Committee Members
- Catholic Faith: Practice of the Catholic faith is required. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their public behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the policies of the diocese.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
Graduate degree in business or like field, or equivalent work experience, with ten or more years of senior administrative, financial, and/or fundraising leadership in a complex corporate, academic and/or nonprofit setting.
Financial experience must include an understanding of investments and wealth transfers.
Fluency in Microsoft Office with practical familiarity of various donor database software solutions.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Proven history in building strong, lasting relationships with donors.
- Experience with a non-profit or Catholic Church with a background in capital campaigns and endowments is preferred.
- Comfortable with corporate and community leaders and high net-worth individuals.
- Experience leading organizational and operational change.
- Strong collaborator within and outside of an organization.
- Exceptional planning and execution skills with a results-oriented record of achievement; the ability to set goals, meet deadlines and evaluate results.
- Open mind, entrepreneurial and willing to learn from others.
- Brings humility and a deep commitment to advancing philanthropy at all levels throughout the Diocese
- Energetic, diplomatic, adaptable and with a good sense of humor.
- Able to manage multiple tasks, prioritize and maintain confidentiality.
- Must be able to complete Diocesan Safe Environment Training, including a criminal background check.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
The working hours of this position are not limited to an 8-hour day. This person will need to be available in the evening and weekends, as needed. Must be willing to work in conditions of stress and function well under pressure.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Bill Moran, The Moran Company.