Fort Collins, Colorado (Denver area)
No Barriers is a nonprofit organization based in Colorado that provides transformative programs and experiences that shift mindsets, create belonging, and foster self-discovery to elevate individuals and their communities. Our history began in 2003 when two separate teams of individuals launched organizations designed to change people’s lives by providing transformative educational experiences. One of the organizations started by working with adults and children with disabilities, while the other worked with middle and high school students. In 2011, the two organizations merged into one, operating as No Barriers. During the next decade, No Barriers expanded in new ways by bringing in other organizations with aligned missions. By partnering and merging with new organizations, No Barriers added a caregiver program and added programming to serve youth on a mountain camp property.
Prior to 2020, No Barriers was primarily an in-person experiential programming organization providing retreats, conferences and expeditions for the many populations that we served. Like many nonprofits, No Barriers canceled in-person programming for 2020 and most of 2021. As a result, the organization made the tough decision to cut staff and weathered the storm of the pandemic. Meanwhile, No Barriers channeled the energy into building a virtual presence and outreach. In addition, the organization invested over $1 million in an accessible mountain campus 45 minutes west of Fort Collins.
Today, No Barriers is proud to offer programming, primarily in-person and with the goal of expanding virtual and/or hybrid formats. While the focus is on core programming, No Barriers has offered corporate leadership training, educator and student No Barriers curriculum and other online programs. These are being evaluated in 2023 to determine what programs will remain and/or be pursued as part of the core offering. The organization is poised for a post-COVID “re-boot” and is looking for a new Executive Director to lead the team into the future.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for leading the organization’s administration, fundraising, marketing and strategic plan implementation. Other key duties include program oversight, community outreach, and board development. Most importantly, the new Executive Director will lead the organization forward towards the vision of building an inclusive world for all where barriers don’t stand in the way of possibilities. No Barriers will celebrate 20 years in 2023, and looks forward to the new Executive Director building on the strength of the organization.
- Drive development of the organization’s multi-year strategic vision, regularly adjusting direction to reflect emerging trends and opportunities
- Marshall appropriate resources to effectively achieve the organizational objectives as defined by the strategy
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field
- Continually seek and identify opportunities to grow the organization, provide new revenue streams, and expand reach through partnerships
Operational / Program Excellence
- Create a strong organizational culture in keeping with core values for all members of the No Barriers community including, though not limited to, staff, board and volunteers
- Focus on diversity, equity and inclusion in staff, board, volunteers and contractors
- Ensure programmatic excellence to achieve the No Barriers mission
Fundraising / Development
- Drive the fundraising of the organization in partnership with the staff fundraising team
- Cultivate an engaged and high performing board that provides the organization with key corporate and individual connections
- Marshall resources effectively to meet or exceed fundraising goals and objectives
Community Relations and Communications
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the organization
- Elevate the local, regional, national and global profile of the organization
- Build on No Barriers as an organization rooted in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) since its inception 20 years ago
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations
Board Alignment, Development and Leadership
- Help cultivate new board members and deepen the engagement of current board members
- Develop the Mission Ambassador network promoting reach and advocacy
- Manage agenda and work of the board Executive Committee and full Board of Directors
- Build strong relationships with all board members and establish effective working committees for Board engagement
- Drive the process of annual budget creation, forecasting, and necessary financial pivots throughout the year
- Ensure that adequate resources are in place to effectively and safely manage for the security of the organization’s finances
- Alert the board to any significant concerns related to fiscal management
- Ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines
Professional Qualifications and Personal Attributes
- High level of integrity and strong character
- Commitment to building a strong culture consistent with No Barriers values
- Collaborative and approachable personality with the humility to deflect praise to others
- Genuine curiosity about and understanding of how No Barriers programs are run
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey the organization’s mission to external stakeholders while also maintaining open lines of communication with staff
- Leadership experience (C-Suite preferred) working for an organization with an annual budget greater than $2 million.
- Experience with scaling organizational reach by focusing on perfecting and growing current programs
- Knowledge of nonprofit management best practices
- Strong financial background with an ability to effectively manage budgets and financial plans in collaboration with the CFO
- Demonstrated ability to develop new pricing models and drive revenues from fee-for-service programs
- Experience with organizations that serve people with disabilities and caregivers
- Strong written and public speaking skills
The salary range for this position is $130,000 to $150,000. The organization offers a competitive benefits package, including participation in an employer-sponsored health insurance plan, a generous Paid Time Off package, and other benefits.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
No Barriers celebrates diversity and strives to create an inclusive environment for employees and participants. We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital
status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Accommodations for Individuals with Disabilities
No Barriers will make reasonable accommodations, as required by law, for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee unless doing so would impose an undue hardship upon business operations. An accommodation is not reasonable if, even with the accommodation, the employee is unable to perform essential job duties in a manner that would not endanger the employee's health or safety of the employee or others.
The search for the No Barriers Executive Director is being conducted by The Moran Company. Questions about the position can be directed to Mike English, The Moran Company; mike (at) morancompany.com.
To apply for this position, submit cover letter and resume to Mike English, The Moran Company, via the secure online portal. Resume should include all professional education and experience, dates of employment (month and year) and position/title and organization names. Cover letter should articulate relevant experience and fit with the stated preferences of the position.