Assistant Vice President of Development
Assistant Vice President of Development
Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington D.C.
For over 80 years Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington DC (PPMW) has provided high quality, compassionate healthcare to the Washington DC, Northern Virginia, and Maryland geographic area. The organization is committed to combatting health inequities through a wide range of services including primary/preventive care, birth control and vasectomies, breast exams and mammograms, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, screenings for cervical and other cancers, and abortions. PPMW provides high quality, culturally informed educational programs in schools, communities, and online throughout their service area. Additionally, PPMW has a strong public affairs and advocacy program promoting health equity for everyone. In 2022 over 21,500 patients received services at their three facilities. Additional information can be found at: ppmw.org.
Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington DC is looking for a seasoned development leader who can enhance the organization’s fundraising capabilities. The Assistant Vice President of Development (AVP) will act as a leader and mentor to the frontline fundraising team. This newly created position will focus on overseeing and developing a robust pipeline of individual donors. The AVP will have experience as an individual major gift performer as well as managing a fundraising team. In addition to development team management, the AVP will also maintain a portfolio of individual donors and prospects. Under the Assistant Vice President’s guidance, the fundraising team will identify, build, and grow a new generation of funders for PPMW while continuing to cultivate and steward current supporters.
The Assistant Vice President will demonstrate successful experience in major gift fundraising as well as exhibit personal warmth as a mentor and manager. Along with fundraising acumen, this position requires strong interpersonal, managerial skills, and the ability to be a team player. This position reports to the Vice President of Development and will supervise a staff of four: Senior Director of Major and Planned Gifts, two Major Gift Officers, and the Director of the Liberty Circle (mid-level) giving program.
Management and Leadership Skills:
- Team Player – works with organizational leadership and uses expertise to help PPMW increase their impact in the Metropolitan Washington DC area.
- Management Experience – serves as a coach, mentor, and thought leader to the frontline fundraising staff. Preferred experience in managing a remote team.
- Strategic Leadership - experience building a major gift strategy and structure. In collaboration with the Vice President of Development, develops metrics to measure fundraising success.
- Is a mature leader who supports the strategy of the Chief Revenue Development and Communications Officer and the Vice President of Development in the planning, implementation, and oversight of all aspects of fundraising for PPMW
- Proactively builds relationships with sources of support while strengthening relationships with current donors through personal visits and stewardship activities, to further their loyalty and encourage higher levels of support and involvement.
- In partnership with the development and communications team, actively participates in building and successfully executing the organization’s capital campaign.
- Manages and actively engages with a portfolio of major gift prospects.
- Maintains a current knowledge of the tools, techniques, and data points to advance major gift fundraising strategies.
- Works with the development team on stewardship plans and activities for donors and ensures proper acknowledgment and recognition of their support.
Professional Qualifications and Personal Attributes
The ideal candidate will possess most of the following professional and personal attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Seven years of experience in progressively more responsible management and supervisory roles for a comparable nonprofit development program, including major gift experience.
- Capital campaign fundraising experience strongly preferred.
- Believes in and effectively communicates the mission of Planned Parenthood of Washington DC.
- Planning – Has familiarity with strategic planning. Can assist in translating organizational vision to divisional goals. Can develop department goals necessary to accomplish divisional goals. Is capable of monitoring implementation of goals and making necessary adjustments and informing higher levels of management regarding significant changes.
- Team Player – Shares expertise and knowledge with all members of the organization to increase the impact of PPMW.
- Analysis – Has the capability to assess complex situations and make decisions and/or recommendations across departments and functions.
- Finance – Has experience with contributing to the development of program budgets and monitoring their implementation.
- Supervision – Has the skills necessary to be a successful supervisor including compliance with human resource policies and procedures, recruiting, and training staff, establishing goals for direct reports, and completing annual performance evaluations.
- Communication – Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication.
- Writing Skills – Ability to write reports, professional correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Presentation Skills – Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
- Technical Expertise: Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $130,000-$135,000. Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington DC offers a complete benefits package which includes a comprehensive health and dental insurance, life insurance, long and short-term disability, retirement plan, employee assistance program, vacation, sick leave, holidays, and personal days.
PPMW offers a hybrid work environment with required time in the office and the remaining work time off-site.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington DC is an Equal Opportunity and EEO/Affirmative Action Employer committed to excellence through diversity. Employment offers are made based on qualifications and without regard to race, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, or age.
The search for the Assistant Vice President of Development is being conducted by The Moran Company.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume to Becky Hauk, The Moran Company. Resume should be chronological and include all professional education and experience, dates of employment (month and year).